npm Enterprise allows you to run npm's infrastructure behind your company's firewall. It's designed for teams that need:
- Easy internal sharing of private modules.
- Better control of development and deployment workflow.
- Stricter security around deploying open-source modules.
- Compliance with legal requirements to host code on-premises.
- Better code discovery and sharing within their organization.
npm Enterprise is the same codebase that powers the public registry. It works with the same standard npm client you already use, but provides the features needed by larger organizations who are now enthusiastically adopting Node.js. It's built by npm, Inc., the sponsor of the npm open source project and the host of the public npm registry.